Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Applesauce!

So I am on a major applesauce kick.
Did you know applesauce is amazing to cook with?? In the past week I've made applesauce cookies, applesauce brownies, applesauce pancakes!! I love changing my recipes as I am baking/cooking (this dosn't always work out great) and applesauce is a great, low-fat substitute for butter, margarine and even oil. You can use organic, unsweetened applesauce, it works awesome!
Here's the lowfat brownie recipe I 'created', YUM!

Cake Brownies
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup skim milk
Preheat to 350c.
melt butter, stir in applesauce after. Stir into sugar, cocoa, add eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. Add dry ingredients. , add milk. Pour batter into greased pan, bake 15-18 minutes, till toothpick comes out clean.
If you're really hardcore you can use all applesauce and no butter (so 3/4 cup applesauce). I've done this before and it is still tasty :)

For the pancakes I just combined:
1 egg
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
dash of salt
1 tblsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tblsp applesauce
1tblsp canola oil
3/4 cup milk (i can't remember if i used 3/4 or 1 cup...hmmm. use your smarts)
And I always add a dash of cinnamon, yum!

Not the best picture, but hey, that's what you get for not the best camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment