Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Cheapo Like Me

Some people are spurred by concern for the environment. Some people are trying to be healthy and organic. Some people are trying to stick it to 'the man'. Me, well, I'm mainly just cheap. Two of the things that I do also fall under healthy and organic I suppose, but the thing that makes them winning to me is CHEAP.
  A few things I do:
 I make my own deodorant.
 I make my own laundry detergent.
 I water down my mascara.

Okay so that last one is pretty simple. You just add one or two DROPS of water to your used up mascara and you get like another couple weeks out of it!

 The other ones, maybe you've never tried before? Try it!!

Deodorant

 1. Put 1/4 cup each of baking soda and cornstarch in a bowl with 15ish drops tea tree oil. You can do more or less of the tea tree oil, depending how much you like/hate tea tree oil. Be mindful though that tea tree oil helps counter bacteria and combats smell!
2. Stir in 2 TBSP of Coconut Oil. This can be found in most any organic section, and often the lard/shortening section of the grocery store.
3. Mush into a soft consistency. I often microwave my coconut oil and stir it in softened. Then smash it into an empty deodorant container (or just put into a small container) and refrigerate. After it cools, it will stay the shape you put it in even after you take it out.

 I have had great luck with this, and have always found it wins out over my B.O. Thank God.

Laundry Detergent

This works just as well as any you will buy at the store. Check out this link for the recipe I always use:
 Roger And Rosaleen - Laundry.... Again!

 You only need to use about 1 TBSP per load, works out to a lot cheaper than store bought! Also, you can read reviews for front loading, or HE Washers. It works, apparently. You can find borax and washing soda in the laundry sections of your local grocery store!



No comments:

Post a Comment